Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Hi my engine warning light has come up on my 2007 Saab 1.9TDI

Hi my engine warning light has come up on my 2007 Saab 1.9TDI the car has 146,000 and I have owned it for nearly 5 years it has been regularly serviced the last service being 3 months ago.
Any ideas please as to what is causing the engine warning light to come on there has been no drop in performance or breakdowns with the car.
***** *****head
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Based on all as you have described including no or any noticable performance problems with the car in general - becuase of vast area of possible faults in regards ***** ***** management lights/fault codes go - it would be difficult to say exactly what the cars ecu has logged or picked up on hence if anything like a sensor/ecu controlled,monitored component on the engine is seen to run out of tolernace or become faulty then it will store the relevent faults codes that need to be retrived before considering even replacing anything..its really one of these common situations that really need the car plugged in to be able to move to the next step on investigating why its come on in the first place.if its something minor/glitch so to speak then it should be simple case of erasing the code - test drive the vehicle and see if the same fault crops back up again after doing the another scan..normally they dont come back but that maybe one of the options to consider having done first to ensure this is actually a fault..of course too you could have a quick check around the engine bay and inspect all the plug connectors/hose/vaccum hose circuit for any small tears that maybe causing the warning light to appear..but as it stands at the moment the best advice is to see what your cars ecu has detected..that way you/garage will be in a much better position as to which step to take next checks wise etc.. I do hope this helps