Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Spartan kit car with a triumph spitfire gearbox but

I have a Spartan kit car with a triumph spitfire gearbox but it is stuck in first gear help please
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

if this is the earlier '3 rail' gearbox with 3 selectors on the top then they can suffer from the forks wearing and then binding up on the rail

the repair ( in the orginal car) is usually to remove the gearbox cover and then unbolt the top cover that incorporates the selectors
with the cover off ensure that the gears move on the shafts in and out smoothly

and then check the fork motion on the selector shafts and check the forks all move smoothly with little or no play on the fork on the shaft

if the 1st gear form is very sloppy then you can either fit a bearing bush or fit a new fork as Moss stock most parts for these