Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Are the chrome effect roll hoops behind the seats of my mx5

Are the chrome effect roll hoops behind the seats of my mx5 mk3 2006 model genuine rollover protection ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

If this has been aftermarket fitted which most of these chrome style bars are - they mearly a decorative item only and is not intended for roll-over protection - of course they could offer some sort of protection as they are pretty sturdy built -

if you require proper roll over frame then you could have a look a this site amoungst others through search http://www.trlanefabs.co.uk/MAZDA-MX5-TD-ROLLBAR.html .. I do hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Robert , I have done a lot more research on the 'net and I think that I've found "a reason" not an answer !

It's product liability insurers that forbid manufacturers from describing or claiming that "rollover bars " offer protection .... in case someone sues for every penny 'cos they had an accident and the bars did not prevent injury !!!!

If you look on parts websites they stop advertising roll bars for 2005 onwards - that's when the mk.3 was introduced.