Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My Peufeot 407 has a power steering issue. The warning light

My Peufeot 407 has a power steering issue.
The warning light on the dash has lit up and the power steering seems to have stopped working as it's very heavy to steer.
I appreciate that the causes may be many, but will I damage anything by driving it like this?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Normally it wouldnt be advisable to use the vehicle any extended distance with the Electronic/Hydraulic steering disabled - but should be fine for short diatance until as such time the EHPS is properly diagnosed aswell as the charging system..normally these do tend to have alot of issues with the these pumps..aswell as leaks which i note you say isnt the issue here seeing as the level has been checked and is fine that leaves a possible fail of the pump itself or wiring harness to it..the best course of action is to find a well equiped garage with the proper diagnostic equipemnt to see exactly what codes you have in relation the EHPS failure.once you know what these are then you be in a better position which route to take next..there are place on line that can repair these is prefered to look into.. http://shop.bba-reman.com/product-category/parts/power_steering/ I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was a bit annoying to find my in box littered with "Rate My Service" e-mails sent about once an hour for a day; but I suppose that's beyond your control.

The car is now in the garage being "diagnosed".

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Yeah that side of the site i can't control im afraid!..you can send a further message to customer service side of the site and see if they can help with that? However if you require to ask anything further in regards ***** ***** car - then just ask anytime..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, thanks.

I'm just keeping my fingers, wallet and credit card crossed until later on.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I should have replied. The fault was eventually traced to the ECU. £99 repair and everything's been fine since.