sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
31670004

FIESTA R24 SHY 1.3 GHIA, WHICH WAS BOUGHT ABOUT SIX MONTHS

FIESTA R24 SHY 1.3 GHIA, WHICH WAS BOUGHT ABOUT SIX MONTHS AGO,BY A FRIEND OF MINE,IS IN ALMOST ALL RESPECTS A VERY GOOD CAR.IT IS ONLY WHEN YOU TAKE IT ON THE MOTORWAY THAT YOU FIND IT WILL NOT GO FASTER THAN 50-55 MPH.WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS?HOPE YOU CAN HELP.
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I hope the following assists you.
There are a few reasons that could cause the symptoms you describe.
To start with you need to confirm if it is the engine that lacks power or if there is another reason for the low top speed. A slipping clutch will allow the engine to rev but the vehicle speed won't match the engine speed, this would be more noticeable up hills. Make sure there is no problem with the brakes causing them to stick, as the car is driven longer the brakes get hotter causing them to stick more so slowing the car.
There is then the amount of power the engine produces, there are many problems that can cause a lack of power such as a misfire, blocked exhaust, a lack of fuel due to a blocked fuel filter/fuel pick up, faulty engine sensor or incorrectly adjusted throttle cable.
If the car drives OK around town and seems to accelerate OK then it may be a blocked fuel filter or exhaust as under a higher load such as on a motorway the high amount of exhaust gases can't clear fast enough so start to restrict the incoming air into the engine. A blocked fuel filter or pick up pipe won't allow enough fuel to the engine for the high load resulting in a lack of power.
Remove the air intake pipe from the inlet manifold and check that the throttle does open fully when the pedal is to the floor, this will eliminate any cable problem.
If there is a faulty engine sensor then unfortunately the only way to pinpoint this would be to have a diagnostic check of the engine management carried out to retrieve any stored fault codes caused by the faulty sensor.
Start with the points above, let me know if you have more questions regarding this and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.