Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

my car is fiat croma 2006 dynamic 1.9 8 valve diesel.,mileage

my car is fiat croma 2006 dynamic 1.9 8 valve diesel.,mileage 40,000. it runs perfectly at medium and high speeds,but has recently started to give a "whoomph, whoomph ,whoomph sound when i accelerate at low reves, e.g. when drving in slow traffic and then accelerating. i have mainly got around this problem by driving at higher revs when the "whoomphing" souns starts, but,of course, i am using more fuel.the car is regularly.. serviced by a local mechanic, but he is unable to find what the fault is
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

1st check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years