Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Mazda 6 diesel reg Sept 2006 which has been regularly

I have a Mazda 6 diesel reg Sept 2006 which has been regularly serviced. Recently when I accelerated a whooshing/whistling noise occurred. Since then this noise has persisted whenever I accelerate, once I have reached a constant speed the noise stops. Yesterday I took my car for 87.000 service and asked the garage to repair this fault. When I collected the car they advised that they could not find a reason for the noise and put it down to wear and tear. Not very satisfactory. Can you help?
Mrs ***** *****
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Ok..givin your description of events - The places really checking here would be a problem or issue on your intake/intercooler system - basically a complete inspection of the whole pipe work circuit on the engine for small intake leaks aswell as ensuring they are fully connected and too possible issues with the intercooler itself - id imagine during the service the air filter would have been replaced so that would pretty much rule that out for restrictions..so really the next stage would be a check as above the intercooler system - if that ok then checks need to be made to the turbo unit,vane shaft for play/sticking wastegate actuator aswell as check - the noise as you describe under load or boost sounds like an boost leak when the turbo/engine is under load when accelerating so those places mentioned above would be the area to check...further to that they may also want to check for exhaust system leaks..so as above that would be the best starting place form here..if the garage above dont seem to help much..then you could try this site here www.goodgaragescheme.co.uk and maybe find a garage locally who be willing to make those further checks for you..I do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything further then please do so before you rate