Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

new battery car wont start

new battery car wont start
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there apoligies for the delay...i see you have listed 5 questions without an answer so not sure why thats happened..but i will try my best to help..

Can you explain exactly the reason for replacing the battery?

Did you do the 3 minute rule before disconnection?

Any warnings/messages up on the dash with this fault?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

recently purchased vehicle, been running great, coverd 1000 miles since, frosty morning Wed, wont start, power drain, sealed for life battery dated 2008, thought replacement battery! new battery fitted Thurs morning, car engine turning over no prob, but not firing up, there is a spanner symbol showing 10, press again it shows 7300 which i assume is next service interval, hope this helps....

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your responce..

Peugeot/Citreons are fairly sensitive to battery changes/jump starting - if the correct procedure isnt followed then you can run the risk of corrupting the bsi software or loosing key coding where the vehicle doesnt immobiliser simply wont shut off hence the engine wont start... Try the 3min rule again and then follow the reconnection procedure below..failing that the only way forward from that is to get it diagnosed to exactly whats gone wrong the likely hood the immobiliser isnt picking up the keys or a problem has surfaced in the bsi due to the battery fault.power surge or spike..the spanner symbol/orange wrench is a service light so dont worry about that at the moment..

Unplugging battery

1. Before unplugging the battery, turn off all gadgets and lights, closing all the doors and unplugging any kind of diagnostic tool. The drivers side window has to be kept open for any kind of requirement.
  2. Turn off the ignition and take out the key following which unplug the battery after an interval of 3 minutes.
  3. The BSI needs to be taken to Sleep mode or Active Economy mode, during which nothing in the vehicle should be operating. Even the bonnet should not be opened that time as it can ‘wake up’ the BSI if the vehicle has got an alarm installed. For batteries under the bonnet, the bonnet should be opened and left up before allowing the BSI to go to Sleep Mode. During this 3 minute interval, use of any remote control central locking gadgets for other vehicles should be avoided in the vicinity of the concerned vehicle.

Reconnecting Battery

The following procedure is for reinstalling the battery connection unless told otherwise by Peugeot or Product service. Failure to follow this procedure may result in damage to the BSI’s embedded software during reconnection.

1. All the doors have to be closed with the ignition key turned off and the key taken out.
  2. Now without opening the doors, replug the battery and wait for 10 seconds.
  3. Turn on the headlights, turn on the engine and inspect the system’s functioning.

BSI start up

1. The very first step is to unplug the diagnostic tool from the vehicle.
  2. Make sure all the gadgets are switched off, the driver’s window lowered down and open the bonnet
  3. Then close all the doors and take off the key from ignition.
  4. After a 3 minute interval, unplug the vehicle’s battery terminals and wait for a further 15 seconds.
  5. Attach back the battery terminals and give a 10 second pause making sure the doors are closed.
  6. Turn the side lights on
  7. Now turn the engine on and inspect the system functioning.
  8. Press and hold down the lock button on the key for 10 seconds
  9. Check the central locking system by unlocking and locking the door consecutively.
  10. Turn the engine on again and finish inspecting the system

So as above give that a try - failing that the only alternative is the diagnostic route to see whats happened if the BSI has been damaged or lost key sync..I do hope this helps

Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience: Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Robert, thank you for youre reply, i wont be able to try youre recommendation till Sat when Im back home, thank you again I will up date you ASAP, Graham.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi.Graham...yep thats no problem... give a try anyway..failing that i suspect the next port of call will be the diagnostic route..if prefered you should find somebody locally with specific diagnostic equipment for peugeot to avoid the dealer..somebody with upto date peugeot planet software too plug into the car to see whats currently happened.if you have another key for that car then give that a try too..aswell as check all your fuses/main fuses etc just to be sure..but let me know how its goes anyway..Regards Robert