Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Vauxhall Astra key fob, buttons do nothing -- replaced

Customer Question

Vauxhall Astra key fob, buttons do nothing -- replaced battery -- still does nothing. Key manually starts engine and car will drive -- and when inserted in drivers door it will lock and unlock that door only -- all others remain unlocked this including the boot door?

Have fitted a new battery in this fob, any ideas what is up? I might add this car has nothing to with me personally because I detest Vauxhalls with absolute distain, nothing but trouble as far as I am concerned -- this is a neighbours car hence the reason for me not wanting to joining any monthly subscription plan!!

Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.
Mark :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try help you with this.

Mark :

To reset the key, you need to put it in ignition and turn it to the on position, make sure all the doors are closed, and then press the unlock or lock button

Mark :

Customer:

I will do as you suggest and come back to you on this, I am rather tied up at the moment. Thanks, ***** *****

Mark :

No problem.

Mark :

Please remember to rate my assistance later.

Mark :

Mark :

Mark.

Customer:

Dear *****,

Customer:

I had already tried the method you described but I must confess not with the drivers shut.

Customer:

I still have had no better result and that with all doors shut and the key inserted in the Ignition lock at position 2

Customer:

I have done precisely what you suggested but as the car cannot be secured by either the fob buttons or by manually locking the drivers door, for this is the only door that will in fact lock everything else remains a total mystery. I can start the vehicle and drive it anywhere but I cannot dare leave this vehicle unattended because to all intents and purposes it is wide open for anyone to gain access to anything within the car? Please advise as to what else might be wrong here. Edgar Matthews

Mark :

If this hasn't worked then either the battery is faulty, battery has been inserted the wrong way round or the key is faulty.

Mark :

If the key is suspect then you will need the use of a scan tool to verify the vehicle isn't receiving the lock/unlock signal.

Customer:

Dear *****, The battery positive outer case fits within a semi-circular configured clamp and can only be fitted in that configuration. Turning the battery around the opposite way would in fact have no adverse effect on the circuitry within the fob, because the positively charged case would press directly on both the positive and negative connections of the module at one and the same time. The negative pole of the battery in this mode would hence be pointing directly away from the module's contacts and merely press against the plastic case of fob's interior? From what I can ascertain if the microchip within the fob is either faulty or indeed missing altogether then it would be impossible to drive this vehicle due to the activation of the vehicles immobilizer system, would I be correct therefore in this assumption? Any thoughts on this which might be of help. Edgar Matthews.

Mark :

There are two systems within the key, the immobiliser and the locking system. They are independent of each other. You are correct that if the chip was missing then the engine would not start. The chip has nothing to do with the locking system.

Mark :

Your problem is either caused by a faulty key, faulty battery or the car not being able to receive the lock unlock signals.

Mark :

The immobiliser chip does not require battery power from the key to work. It works with induction voltage when the key is inserted into the ignition lock and ignition switched on.

Customer:

Thanks for the enlightenment as to how the fob works, but as to what to do next I'm at some what of a loss as to what to do next! Does this mean a trip to the nearest Vauxhall franchise to get the matter sorted? The car in question belongs to our next door neighbour whom I'm trying to assist with this dilemma? Thanks, Edgar.

Mark :

It doesn't have to be a Vauxhall dealer although that would be the easiest.

Mark :

The garage will need suitable scantool and software. Most garages have this but you would need to ask first.

Mark :

I would also appreciate it if you would remove the bad service rating as I don't think it is deserved. I have tried to help you with this fault.

Customer:

Dear *****, I was and indeed still am unsure as to how this website actually works. I thought that if I put say excellent this would automatically suggest that my original question had been fully answered and this would lock me out of any further discussion on the subject. Hence the reason for clicking on the lowest rating that and no other! In fact you have totally enlightened me as to the fundamental operation of these door keys and the transponder contained within and for that I wish to thank you in person. Yours sincerely, Edgar

Mark, Technician
Experience: Qualified City & Guilds
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mark, Just to say I again tried the method you suggested -- that of inserting the key in the ignition and turning it to the on position and as before nothing happened.

I suppose more out of desperation I again made sure all doors were shut and locked, this time I turned the key on - off multiple time in rapid succession and a sudden beep was hear in the car?

I next pushed the door open button on the fob and behold the doors immediate unlocked? Since that the Key has been working perfectly ever since.

Why it took multiple operations of turning the key seems a absolute mystery, but sadly I wish now I had only thought of counting the number of times I did turned the key because possible that might help someone else.

It proves the initial information you gave me was correct but it seems as if it took what I did to wake the jolly system up?

I just want to say, "Thanks to you and the help tendered the problem has now been resolved."

Edgar Matthews