Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Hi, I went over some really rough ground yesterday evening

I went over some really rough ground yesterday evening very rocky and I know I did some damage. Steering wheel is very loose today? nearly afraid to drive it
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Ok..probably one the areas to check on here as you say in regards ***** ***** steering wheel feeling loose would be your steering rack and the track rods ends for wear/damage..normally when a track rod end or even the inner tie rod is worn can give a loose steering wheel effect..aswell as too any excess wear as far as the suspension system goes..its sounds like by your description that what may have suffered damage due to rocky surface you travelled over..also too before hand certainly ensure the front wheels securing bolts are fully tight..you can jack up either side in turn if you can and see if any movement can be felt from either wheel to give an indication of whats actually happened...in the mean time if you feel the car is unsafe to drive then it would be advised to sek a mechanic to come out the car or mobile mechanic to check this out for you rather than risk driving to a garage..I do hope this helps