Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

my 04 Continental Gt has just developed heavy steering but

Customer Question

my 04 Continental Gt has just developed heavy steering but only in forward gears, ECU has been changed any ideas
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

it would be well worth checking out the condition of the suspension balljoints as if one has partially seized you'll get a lot of extra steering load

jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for both sides) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault.

Now with the car jacked up on that side with the wheel about 2 inches off the ground use a steel bar under the wheel and lever the wheel up and down slightly, you should be able to look at the end of the axle and see if the suspension arm is moving up and down separately to the axle.If so replace the bush
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, It does not appear to be a suspension problem, it is fine in reverse.

but feels like the steering is "firming up" too soon rather than at speed.

At 70mph all feels good, at slow speed however feels heavy/stiff.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

it would be worthwhile checking the tyre pressures also as the way that the suspension geometry works means that steering loads are naturally lower in reverse than when travelling forwards

buyt if this is OK then I'd check that you have the latest software loaded into the steering controller and if thats OK try jacking up the front of the car to get the front wheels of the ground and ensure that the steering turns freely so chekcing the column and motor bearings
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

do you still need help with this?