Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

hi,ive a 03 plate Alfa 156 lusso 2.4jtd 115,000mls. puts out

hi,ive a 03 plate Alfa 156 lusso 2.4jtd 115,000mls. puts out big puffs of grey smoke under hard acceleration, acceleration is hesitant as well, changed fuel filter a month ago as at times it seemed to go into a form of limpo mode when accelerating hard. limpo symptoms have gone but smoke & hesitancy remain, any ideas as what to try next
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Mike :

Hello and Welcome...

Mike :

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help - advise..

Mike :

Can I just ask - do you get ANY fault lights on at all when driving ?

Mike :

Too - are there any other symptoms at all ?

Mike :

Have you had any work done on the engine/ car at all of late?

Mike :

It appears you are not in the Live chat right now - so please type your reply here.. when I receive it, I will get back to you asap thereafter / later -

Mike :

Rgds - MIKE.

Customer:

sorry mike we,ve had problems with email acceptance,but ive seemed to be in now. ive had no lights on dashboard accept for vdc systems failure that comes on every trip, that's for the abs brakes they still work fine tho occasionally they go into abs mode..had that looked at but it keeps coming back. engine wise no work done, uses no oil or water, temp always regular/stable

Mike :

Hi again.. Thats ok - no problem.. No one is on 24/7 we know that anyway.. My apologies to for the delay in my response.. I expected to be able to get back to you sooner than now!

Mike :

Ok so this issues you have.. your symptoms are pretty much commensurate with the mileage of the car...

Mike :

Its not a big issue usually.. I will explain a little more..

Mike :

Oh hi... I see you are with me in the Live Chat now ;)

Mike :

I have a list of general causes / explanation on the grey smoke issue with most any diesel engine... I will give you that as follows - then what to do about it ---

Customer:

hello hello that's good fine, list away mike.

Mike :

White smoke is caused by raw, unburnt fuel passing into the exhaust stream. Common causes include ..

• Incorrect fuel injection timing

• Defective fuel injectors

• Low cylinder compression

Low cylinder compression may be caused by leaking valves, sticking piston rings, ring wear, cylinder wear, or cylinder glaze.

When white smoke occurs at cold start and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing. ( I doubt you have any real / major compression issues as you say the engine runs fine otherwise - but it can be the start of it..as above )

Continuous evidence of white and or grey smoke indicates a mechanical defect, or incorrect fuel timing.... though it can be just sticking injectors and / or leaking valve stem seals.. There are very good additives on the market to cure these issues which I will come to-

Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke.-sometimes white / grey - but predominently white. Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads or blocks are a common cause of water entry .. unfortunately, expensive mechanical repair is the only proper solution here.

Mike :

I doubt again that you have that issue though... So - what to do..

Mike :

I see you have recently had the oil and filter changed - thats good - I would have advised that ... Now I suggest you use two different additive / products to combat the issue..

Mike :

The first is a product more for the grey smoke - Let me just go and get you a link for that - for a supplier.. give me a mo..

Customer:

with you so far, okydoky

Mike :

Ok ;)

Mike :

Ok - a link for you..

Mike :

This product / these products by the way are not sold to the public - in shops - they are supplied to the motor trade and are generally an in -house product for just these sorts of issues... but you can get them sometimes from your local suppliers but often its cheaper to get them from the likes of HERE.. I suggest them as I know people use that co. as a supplier with no issues - If you read up about that product on that page - its designed - among a lot of other things to cure the grey smoke issues re the sticking injectors / injector pintles / spray patterns etc that cause that -

Mike :

The other - is an additive for the leaky oil seals - let me just go get that for you -

Mike :

Ok - the link for that is HERE

Mike :

Neither of these are "cheap" - but they are the best I know of or have ever used.. They used to be twice the price they are now!! So I would strongly recommend to use these to combat the problems you have.... They are extremely good and given you say the engine performs otherwise fine, Im sure you will find these will cure your issues...

Mike :

Obviously use them as directed - put simply, the diesel treatment simply pours in the tank - the other pours into the engine - takes 5 mins for all.

Mike :

Then it works as you drive -

Mike :

Depending on what mileage you do you will start to see results over time.

Mike :

IF you were to still have problems after a reasonable time, the car would need a more in depth look at diagnostically - but this is certainly the way forward - and can save a lot of time / money for you.

Mike :

So thats it basically - thats the way forward on this one and Im sure that will do the trick for you.

Mike :

The system says you are typing - so I'll await your reply.. can be a bit sticky sometimes this chat system!

Customer:

ok mike,thanks very much for your time that's fine , we will give that a go & see how we get on.

Mike :

No problem at all... let me know how you get on.. I just need you to please click on the OK ratings for me at this point - so that Im credited for helping you - and you are welcome back anytime ! ;)

Mike :

Please don't forget to click on the OK ratings for me before you go as thats important for me.. Thank you again..

Customer:

wil.l order the goods today thanks again