Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a Citroen Picasso 2litre paddle shift gear box 80,000

I have a Citroen Picasso 2litre paddle shift gear box 80,000 miles on the clock - it is generally a very quiet ride however just recently I have been hearing a deep groaning noise from the engine at 38 mph. I though it could have been the exhaust.
I took it to the garage kiwi fit and they noticed front pads and discs need replaced. This was done however news continued and it felt the new was now occurring at lower speeds 20mph. Took it back to garage and they thought it could have been the bearings therefore this was checked however they reported the bearings we're fine however the shaft going into engine seemed loose?
Could you please advise what the cause could be and if this is expensive to rectify?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
From what you are describing the noise and issue that you are experiencing is the input shaft bearing is getting worn and starting to fail. The gear box has to be removed in order to replace this bearing which will require about 5 hours labor at a shops hourly labor rate, good news is that the bearing is not expensive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need to make a journey of 400 miles could I cause any secondary problems if I do this before replacing the bearings?
Yes the bearing can cause damage to the input shaft itself and possibly send metal debris in the system. Thank you.