sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
31670004

Have a 2013 golf tdi, 1.6 and the car does not seem.to be automatically

Have a 2013 golf tdi, 1.6 and the car does not seem.to be automatically stopping which usually does at traffic lights etc when the clutch is let up in.neutral and the reverse works to start it. Any suggestions please?
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I hope the following assists you.
By far the most common cause of the stop/start not functioning is a low state of charge of the battery. The battery is fitted with a state of charge monitor, if the charge drops below a set percentage then the stop/start function won't operate, this is to prevent the possibility of the engine not starting again due to a low battery.
Usually if the start/stop isn't available the warning should be displayed, it may be that one of the preset conditions aren't met for the system to operate, if you use the car for many short journeys it will reduce battery state of charge. Giving the car a good extended run for around an hour should bring the battery up, you can't really use a battery charger as the monitor doesn't detect this charge.
Let me know if you need further information and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.