Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi, My wife and I have both got a fiat 500 arbarth. Her one

Customer Question

Hi, My wife and I have both got a fiat 500 arbarth. Her one is entry level, my one is 595 competizeone. the wifes car sometimes presents a problem such that when up to a good hot running temp if you park and shop for example for 20mins or so, when you return to the car to start it again, sometimes it will start fine and then faulter as if to stop. It then will recover to normal idle. A couple of times it has actually stopped where by three beeps can be heard from dashboard. It always will start and run well strait away after this has happened but we are concerned because the car is a 2014 with 1500 miles on the clock so should perform correctly.
Our local dealer has told me that when the battery was tested it was not fully charged and this could well be a cause of the problem. My view is that the car starts fine but wont always run properly when hot. It is always perfect when cold when I would have thought the battery would be at its worst. I cant help thinking that the fault could well be a sensor not performing correctly. What do you think ? Thanks Jon.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
From what you are describing the issue is not the battery the issue is consistent with a failing crankshaft position sensor resulting in this problem. The crankshaft position sensor needs to be ohm tested as a first step.