Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

a combo 53 plate and it won't start. When I turn

Hi I have a combo 53 plate and it won't start. When I turn the key nothing happens all dash lights come on but nothing happens when I turn the key.
Not even a click. The starter looks like it's quite new. I don't no if it's related but the glow lights only stay on for 1 second then go out
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
From what you are describing the issue that you are having is a electrical failure to the ignition switch which is where the starter gets its signal to spin over.
This is a common failure on this vehicle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi mike
Where is the ignition switch located would you happen to know the part number and could you describe how you would go about replacing it !
Craig
The ignition switch is inside of the steering column and the steering column would need to be opened up
To replace the switch. Not sure of the part number off hand.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok , spot on thanks for that. So are the glow plugs staying on for about one second only related to this ignition switch?
Yes that is correct. The glow plugs are related to the ignition switch, after the switch is replaced the plugs will be fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi mike , sorry to bother you. I have fitted new ignition switch but it is still the same , any other ideas ? Cheers
Since the ignition switch did not fix the issue, the next step would be to have the vehicle connected to a diagnostic machine to ensure that the ecu is communicating with the ignition switch. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a small hand held one and no codes are coming up on it, would one at a garage be more in depth or should the codes come up on the hand held ?
It would take one at the garage to see the communication from the ecu.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok cool, the van will start with a tie and run no bother though, would it still be ecu?
No that would be a loose connection, could be at ecu.