Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Hi, 2011 FIAT 500 Pop Dualogic, just turned 11k miles, had

2011 FIAT 500 Pop Dualogic, just turned 11k miles, had the car 1 week bought S/H.
We've noticed a high pitched squeeling sound when driving.
It's intermittent and doesn't seem to be related to braking or changing up/down.
It's not speed related as it does it at all speeds.
However it does seem to be more noticeable when turning and when the car is hot and in the dry.
I've checked the forums and it's not uncommon and could be linked to the brake calipers/pads and - any ideas??
many many thanks
Phil
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hi my name is***** a car technician and I’ll help with your question.

Ross :

This is indeed a common complaint on a lot of cars, it's usually the brake pads resonating against the brake disc. Although it causes no harm it's rather anoying. I recommend all four wheels are raised and checked for binding, this can cause a squeal but is usually accompanied by a burning smell and poor performance. Providing a binding brake is rulled out its a simple case of removing the brake pads, cleaning the caliper carriers and applying a small amount of copper grease to the metal surfaces and ends of the brake pads. The grease will prevent the noise

Ross :

I hope this answers your question. Please feel free to reply If you need further assistance. Thanks, Ross.

Customer:

Many thanks Ross,

Customer:

Your answer ties in with what the forums are saying - that the pads stick with brake dust common I think on the 500's as the gap is very small (?).

Customer:

Is it something any garage can carry out or would it need a FIAT main dealer or a specialist?

Customer:

PS would copper grease be an effective solution for the short term only - would it not wear off pretty quickly?

Customer:

Ross, I have to leave my desk for 30 minutes now, look forward to hearing from you when I'm back, cheers Phil

Ross :

Any garage can do this. It's a simple job. Copper grease is widely used and very effective. There are other types such as lithium moly grease etc.. They are all similar but do the same job. Dow corning make a grey grease specifically for brakes but it's expensive compared to copper grease which usually lasts very well, it should certainly last the life of the pads.

Customer:

Hi Ross I'm back. That's great! I believe the FIAT 500 POP only has discs at the front, and drums at the back. Is this a problem that doesn't affect drum brakes?, if that is the case then I should only get the fronts checked. So to be clear, the resonance noise is independent of any use of the brakes during transit?

Ross :

It's normal to be independent of braking action. Your car does indeed have rear drums. The drums very rarly cause issues, so I wouldn't worry about these. Due to the way they work they generally won't cause a squeal like pads do.

Ross :

The drums should be stripped and inspected/adjusted on the annual service too. Where as front brakes are only visually inspected which is another reason the front pads tend to squeal as over the years they dry up and build up dust and road dirt.

Customer:

Thanks Ross, that's great, I'll book it into a garage, and it seems to be straightforward and not wheelbearings or some such, which is the main thing!! I think we are done here, thanks for your help... I'll do the feedback thing for you, Cheers Phil

Ross :

Many thanks. If you have any further questions I'm always here to help! Ross.

Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician