Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

My 2007 Seat Altea XL TDI 2.0 6-speed DSG (87000kms)

My 2007 Seat Altea XL TDI 2.0 6-speed DSG (87000kms) has started shifting with a jerk and a bang. What could be the problem?

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
Are there any warning lights coming on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No warning lights, just the PRNDS showing 1,2,3,4,5,6 in sequence.

From what you are describing the issue that you are having is the valve body is loosing pressure and resulting in the current problem. Even though no codes are being set, the valve body needs to be tested as well as the pressure for the gear box.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I take it that you suggest there is a leak in the hydraulics. If so, what could have caused this?

A guy in the workshop claimed that the clutch rings were worn, but I find it impossible that this would be the case after on 85000kms (some 50000 miles). Would you agree?

Yes I agree, at this mileage it is unlikely that this is a clutch ring issue. The valve body's were common to cause this issue at a early mileage on these vehicles, no real reason for this other than a bad design.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks, Mike; I am starting to see the problem.

Just one more question: I understand that there is a fault memory in the car. What information is the fault memory likely to have of the problem?

The fault memory as long as it has not been cleared would have stored information such as incorrect gear ratio, long adapt shift times, and showing that the torque converter is not locking up at the correct times. The only way the memory would be cleared is with s diagnostic tool or a dead battery. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, Mike!

Since I am facing a possible 2000 Euros repair bill, I now have a fighting chance to win a warranty dispute.

Cheers Jorma

Absolutely. Thank you.