Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Hi I've got a Ford focus 2001 1.8. I've turned on my headlights

Hi I've got a Ford focus 2001 1.8. I've turned on my headlights tonight and instead of the headlights coming on my high beam lights came on instead. The side lights are working as normal when I switch them on but for some reason my normal headlights won't go and my high beams come on. Please can you help or at least have a possible reason why this happening
Category: Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good morning to you
Ok just to confirm when you turn the switch to the headlights the main beam stays /comes on
But the headlights don't come on at all
Does the main beam one flash from the stalk worK
If you ensure the main beam stalk is off and switch the headlights on does the main beam still come on
As the wiring diagram is 2 different control relays shown
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for answering my question. I had a friend to check it out this morning and it turns out one my kids had knocked the switch and I hadn't noticed it. I can't believe how stupid I've been. Now just to sort out why my speedometer drops to zero and then back up to show my speed. There was no lose in power to the car just the Speedo. I'm starting to think I need a new car.

Hi there thanks
I thought it sounded very strange
Ok your speedo fault lies with the vehicles speed sensor (common on the 1.8mk1 focus matching your concern
The speed sensor is located in the gearbox and can be a tricky and tight job to do if you haven't done one begore as there is a small roll pin that must be replaced holding the sensor in place
This is normally really tight and is awkward to get at
I would advise getting a garage to do it as you really need this on a ramp to successfully do the job
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian