Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

my honda jazz is completely flat, I can't use the key to open

my honda jazz is completely flat, I can't use the key to open it and the engine is not even turning over, is it likely to be the battery?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hi my name is***** a car technician and I’ll help with your question.

Customer:

Where do I see the answer?

Customer:

Is this just a con to get my money?

Ross :

No. This is a chat where we can talk back and forth

Customer:

oh hello, can you help me, do you think it is just the battery which I know is not fantastic or could it be something else

Ross :

Based on what you say it does sound very much like you have a flat battery. Is it possible anything such as an interior light was left on accidently?

Customer:

No

Customer:

but i have had problems with the battery before but normally their is a little noise at the moment there is nothing

Ross :

Ok. The jazz does tend to put a bit of drain on the battery when its locked to keep the alarm system running. This is normally not a problem but the jazz has a small battery. If the battery is not as good as it should be it can cause a flat battery over night. If the battery is not holding a good charge I suspect the battery may have had a bad cell which has now completely failed.

Ross :

The colder weather is the most common cause of a sudden battery failure.

Customer:

oh ok, so if I get a new battery it should be fine?

Ross :

Yes. If there are no ignition lights what so ever it can only be the battery. I have known the negative battery terminal come loose on these, so first just to rule it out, pop the bonnet open and look at the battery. There are two terminals, one should have a red cover, check the terminals are connected and tight, follow the negative wire down to just behind the battery where there is a 10mm bolt that attaches it to the car body. Just check this wire is tight and secure. If so, replace the battery and the car should be back to normal.

Customer:

thank you

Ross :

No problem. If your happy with my help please "rate" or "accept" my answer. Otherwise feel free to continue the chat if you need further help. Thanks, Ross