Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have a 3200 Amp 12v jump start pack. Is there any chance

I have a 3200 Amp 12v jump start pack. Is there any chance I could damage my Land Rover Discovery's electronics by using a jump start pack this powerful?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hi my name is***** a car technician and I’ll help with your question.

Ross :

It's absolutely fine to use this jump pack. When it comes the the amp rating, this is how much power is available to be drawn from the jump pack, the car will only take as much as it needs. Unlike voltage, to many volts will cause serious damage so providing it's a 12 volt jump pack, more amps if anything will be safer as it will not cause a large voltage drop when cranking which could cause potential issues to the electronics on the car.

Ross :

To avoid possible damage, always connect the positive lead first, and disconnect positive last. Ensure the crocodile clamps are tight and secure and always leave the keys out of the ignition during connection and disconnection of the jump pack to avoid voltage spikes damaging the electronics.