Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi,I've come across a 1977 Sherpa Camper (Highwayman)

Customer Question

I've come across a 1977 Sherpa Camper (Highwayman) in extraordinarily good condition, almost immaculate. It has the B.L. 'B' series 1800 petrol engine. Because my wife would occasionally need to drive it I would need to fit power steering. Might this be possible, or could I fit the later XUD engine/gearbox plus power-steering pump which would also have the benefit of a five-speed box? I know of a donor vehicle for this, so could have propshaft and/or rear axle if necessary, (also doors with winding windows if they'd fit!).
Any help or advice would be warmly appreciated, thank you. Roger
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Hello Roger,
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

there is a firm that specialises in this sort of thing, I'd give them a call

http://www.power-steering.co.uk/

as for an engine donor, Rover kept the same block pattern for many years so the later O and T series engines are an easy installation

so a 2.0 ltr 16V lump from a rover 800 will fit