Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

I have 2001 Vauxhall corsa diesel oil in expansion bottle but

Customer Question

I have 2001 Vauxhall corsa diesel oil in expansion bottle but car not over heating an going fine also oil at engine filler cap ok what can be the problem
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hopefully i can help..

Sounds like your Oil cooler's faulty or the O ring seals have gone - ive included a picture of one below so you can see what it looks like - Its actually part of your Oil filter housing once you locate your oil filter housing you'll see the oil cooler chamber bolted to it - and the two coolant hoses leading to it..both a feed hose and a return hose..normally to rectify this you need to replace the cooler and the seals..some people actually replace the whole oil filter housing with the cooler already fixed to it..either way you can do that or just replace the cooler..another thing that can be done is to take the two coolant hoses off and just join them together so your bypassing the cooler..not really recommended but may buy you time...

The reason the oil gets into the coolant system is because the oil pressure is higher than the coolant system pressure so oil through a failed cooler will most likely always get into the coolant system...But if the engine seems to run normal then you could possibily rule out headgasket failure..but as above that usually the most common cause for that issue you have..once a new cooler is installed you need to fully flush the system out using additives..Forte system flush is usually good..I do hope this helps..If you require to ask anything further then please do so before you rate

Oil Cooler chamber and seals