Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have a Citroen C2 56 plate which I am getting very fed up

I have a Citroen C2 56 plate which I am getting very fed up with. Intermittent problem where electronic speedo goes to zero at the same time steering either goes heavy or lighter than usual. Now suddenly all dash lights come on like a Christmas tree and engine dies - pull over and wait a few minutes. Starts up again - no problem. Can this be diagnosed? Garage said need fault to be current to diagnose. Car is getting very unreliable and worrying. Thanks for your help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross : Hi my name is***** a car technician and I’ll help with your question.
Customer:

Hi Ross, sorry I haven't responded, but I was waiting for your thoughts on my problem. Just to clarify my car is a 53 plate and not 56, if that makes any difference. Also when the steering goes funny, it rights itself after a few minutes. Very frustrating.

Ross :

Ok I have a fairly good idea what might be happening here with regards ***** ***** The cutting out however is a strange one. Do all the warning lights on the dash come on like with ignition on or is it a select few that come on?

Customer:

The cutting out has only started happening in the last few weeks and tonight was the most recent which is why I am contacting you. It shocked me a bit because all the lights seem to be on - oil, battery, engine etc. I am not after an immediate response so please think on it and get back to me tomorrow. t

Customer:

Thanks is what I meant to put!

Ross :

No problem. Firstly the steering problem sounds like its the vehicle speed sensor. This drives the speedometer, which will effect the steering as on this model the steering assistance will adjust depending on road speed, when signal I lost the steering reverts to save mode which will be heavier. I'm

Ross :

I'm fairly confident the cutting out issue is unrelated. This sound like a classic case of crank position sensor. Does it cut out when accelerating/cruising or only when on Rickover

Ross :

Sorry, Tickover

Customer:

Thanks Ross - the steering problem only happens on relatively slow town driving. It cut out when I was accelerating but so far that has only happened a couple of times in the last month, last night was one of them, fortunately I was just picking up speed and was able to coast into the side of the road as it was a side road but if it happened on a roundabout I would be stuffed!. Are these problems correctable and would they be very expensive. The other problem is diagnosing them - one local citroen garage said they couldn't do anything with the electrics unless they were actually happening at the time. Really frustrating. Apart from these problems, the engine is great. But I have no confidence in the car at the moment.

Ross :

Ok, well the steering/speedometer fault is arround £30 for the part and no more than half and hour to fit, so that's not too bad. As for the cutting out, this needs to be diagnosed using a diagnostic system, however the citroen garage is only partly correct. If this is a sensor fault causing the cutting out which it almost certainly will be, it will store a fault code, so before going further and risking guessing at a cause I would get a simple code scan done, any garage can do this and usually costs about £20. Worst case they find nothing, best case it pinpoints the exact cause, although usually it will identify I likely cause which will at very least be pointing us in the right direction.

Customer:

Thanks for that. I am trying to rate below but it wont let me select a face!