Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

Engine management light on dash on ( but not flashing), self

Customer Question

Engine management light on dash on ( but not flashing), self test showing DTC #01 code D900. What does this suggest the problem could be? Car seems to be running ok. The car is 2005 model with 1600 petrol engine ford focus
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi ;

This code means...." non specific can communications interruption "

It's reporting that the networking around the car had an unidentified interruption in power supply maybe a flat battery or jump start the car recently or battery disconnected ..

This is nothing to worry about ,just disconnect the battery negative cable for a few minutes
to clear the codes .if the codes come back have the battery tested.

If battery is okay have the alternator tested, if pushing out to high a voltage this will also set this code .

Battery or alternator are your possible issue to check for .

If you need further assistance with this issue then please let me know by getting back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Kind regards Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My car dealer said that when he checked the issue it showed the fuel running 'lean' ???
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.

What code did he have, as a running lean code would be a P0171 or P0172

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No code was mentioned ..... It was a small non main dealer car sales unit so that is why I am doubting the accuracy of his assessment.
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi .

Is your check engine light still on .

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately,yes
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Disconnect the battery for ten minutes and then do a good test dive, and let me know when the light comes back on ,if as soon as you turn on the ignition ,when the engine starts or after driving a few miles .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The light now stays on even after battery is diconnected for over ten minutes . The light was off after my visit to ask the dealer to rectify but came on about two miles into my journey home.this also happened when going home after buying the car.
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Okay good ,thank you .

You need to check what malfunction codes you now have ,its clear that you do have a
hard code .

Do you know anyone that may have a code reader , if not may be a good idea to buy one ,

You can get them on eBay cheaper than going to the dealer and having a code check .

Check eBay for "EOBD II code reader ".

Rgds Greg