Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi I have a Mini One, 1.6 2010. Run fine most days but recently

I have a Mini One, 1.6 2010. Run fine most days but recently struggles to start some morning or evenings. I think it a damp problem. When you push the button it sometime just keeps turning over until you push it again to stop it. It will then start really rough the second time and you have to keep pumping the throttle to get the revs up for a bit before it settles down. Once going, runs fine.
Any ideas ?
Paul
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injectorsand if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, many thanks. I will look at these points over the weekend and come back to you.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Understood