Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a kia ceed, 1.6 diesel,2008. When I put the key in the

I have a kia ceed, 1.6 diesel,2008. When I put the key in the ignition, sometimes it is not recognised, and then - of course - the car will not start.This is an intermittent problem, but it getting more frequent.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Does the ignition lights actually come on?

Does the engine actually spin over but doesnt start?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All the lights come on - except the one indicating the key has been recognised. The starter operates, but the car does not start. As I say, this is an intermittent prob.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok..considering this happens on both keys - then its quite unlikly the keys "both" being the issue here - but more on the vehicle itself in regards ***** ***** immobiliser system not cancelling..the keys actually have a transponder located in them..this in turn when the key is inserted into the ignition is picked up by the ignition reader antenna coil which then sends a command to shut the immobiliser control module/ecu - off to enable you to start the car..Normally if both keys are producing the same fault then its either going to be fault with problem with the reader antenna ,wiring to that/immobiliser control module..unfortunatly that requires the diagnostic method to be able to verfiy/rectify that fault and see exactly which part of that systems at fault..it does sound antenna related going by previous experiance but certainly have it verfied first diagnostically..another routine check id make is all the earth points around the engine bay/main points from the body the gearbox/engine earth straps aswell as ensure the battery terminals are secure..but as above that about the best way forward on this one..I do hope this helps