Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

my x type key fob will not reset. i have been resetting it

my x type key fob will not reset. i have been resetting it at least once a month and now it will not reset at all. i have checked the fuse and it appeares ok. also the system only beeps once when resetting.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

To confirm - What procedure are using at the moment to try and reset it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

turning the ignition key from i to ii 4 times quickly and waiting for the beep

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Yes - normally that about the only way to actually programme/resync these fobs..

Open driver's door.

Turn the ignition switch to the "auxiliary" position, then turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position and back to the "auxiliary" position four times.

Note :A chime from the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) will indicate programming status has been enabled.

Turn the ignition switch to "OFF" position.

Remove the key from the ignition switch.

To program the transmitter, press any key within 10 seconds.

Note :If the remote transmitter has been accepted, the GEM will make a chime.

I note you havent mentioned replacing the batteries in those fobs...That would be something to certianly try in "all" keys you have for the car,ensure all keys are present when doing the procedure above..and then try the procedure as per what you have done and or above again..unless the exsiting fob you have a problem with it..also before trying the above wd-40 lubricate the ignition barrel/using the straw attachement into the ignition slot and work the key in and out then try as above again..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ive tried the above and changed the battery in the fob, still not working. i notice there is now a click after the beep and the needles all drop on the dash.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Ok..wasnt aware you tried all that as nothing was noted in your already tried section..

Does the car actually still start?

Or is this just a fault with the key not operating the central locking?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just the central locking. car runs fine. it has been droping out at least once a month forlast 5 months

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Ok..becuase normally that procedure above is only for programming the C/L - not the key to immobiliser as thats done diagnostically,from what your saying thats the not an issue if the car still starts - from what you say it sounds very intermittent - its still possible the key itself is at fault,its not too uncommon as you may of gathered.you need to bear that in mind if this same key being at issue here,which im sort of leaning too..lossing sync and needing programmed again just like if the batteries where replaced or loosing contact within the fob itself "you may want to recheck that just incase.maybe check the contacts for the battery in the fob arent loosing contact with the battery causing that problem" - or the main battery on the car itself was disconnected or left to run flat..If you access to another key as these cars should always have two keys..then try using the other one in the mean time to see if this fault occurs with that one..

Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience: Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

will see about buying a new fob and trying that.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi.there...Ok no problem hope it works out for you...

also if you have few minutes please dont forget to leave a rating..most appreciated..Regards Robert