Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My Citroen Berlingo Multispace has worn 4 sets of tyres

Customer Question

My Citroen Berlingo Multispace has worn 4 sets of tyres on the rear unevenly in 38000miles. This has to be unusual as its front wheel drive! Tyre fitters have suggested I have shims fitted behind the rear wheels to allow adjustment to take place and these should have been fitted during manufacture? The dealer is hopeless but I understand they are the only ones that can do the job? Please advise.

Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

The first thing I'd do is take the car to a place that does 4 wheel suspension alignment, most places use the back wheels as a datum and assume that they are perfectly straight and true. Often this is not the case and many modern cars are now adjustable at the rear as well as the front.

A 4 wheel alignment measures all four wheels independently and each is set -up without referring to each other.