Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Hi, my 58 plate i10 has a knocking when there is passengers

Hi, my 58 plate i10 has a knocking when there is passengers in the back, when I'm on my own in the car or just me and front passenger there is no knocking, what could this be, thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hopefully i can help..

Was this an issue before the exhaust rear section was replaced?

What was the reason for the replacement of the rear exhaust section anyway?

Is this knock from any particular side at the rear?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi, the knocking is coming from the rear o/s wheel area and seems to be lower than the n/s.

the knocking was before the exhaust and seems to be on left hand side. the exhaust was changed because the back box had split.

knocking a lot worse when weight is in the rear of the car.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply

Ok..I certainly check up the possibility that the exhaust/part of the exhaust system isnt actually knocking on the axle beam..when theres alot of weight in the back this means the axle will be alot closer to the exhaust system or floor..and sometimes when going over rough areas "might" cause the exhaust system to bang/knock against the rear axle..if there are any noticebale marks on the system or axle at the side the exhasut comes up and over the axle at the back..then they need to check the rubber hangers/mounts for wear..normally they should change the rubber supports/hangers depending on their condition when part or the full exhaust system is changed...The other cause for rear knocking is as already suggest the rear axle beam bushings..those are the bushings between the axle beam and the body of the car..so when any sort of weight in the back could exacerbate

the movement at these causing the knock you hearing..sometimes it can be hard to check by hand using a lever up in there to check movement if its very minor,hence the two differing opinions..but obvious tears in the rubber section of the bushing would no doubt require that bushing to be replaced..Have they tried re- tightening/checking the torque on these axle bolts/mounts there or at least get grease in there to see if it helps,sometimes it can..I do hope this helps..If you require to ask anything further then please continue before you rate