Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Name: Bill XXXXXX. Car is Citroen C5 VTR 110bhp diesel, mfrd

Name: Bill XXXXXXX Car is Citroen C5 VTR 110bhp diesel, mfrd in 2004. Had new washer pump fitted during service. Faults now appear as :- rear washer works when front is demanded sometimes and vice versa. When faults appear they can sometimes clear when car is stopped and engine turned off Sometimes front washer works ok but then nothing at all but the rear one works ok in this situation. Now the service alarm comes on the dashboard when the washer is demanded for either front or rear. Have you come across this fault before and do you think it is an EMC problem? I hope you can throw some light on this - many thanks.

Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
From what you are describing the issue that you are having is consistent with the ECM not communicating properly with the washer pump, the ECU would be at fault here and would need to be tested using a diagnostic tool.
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Mike. Thank you for getting back to me with your answer (Citroen washer pump problem) However, the answer you gave turned out not to be correct so if anyone comes on to you again with this problem, for your further reference, you may like to relay the following:- there is a slide mechanism with the washer pump - goes one way for washing the windscreen then slides back the other way to allow the water into the other pipe to wash the rear window. If this slide sticks, it will send the fluid along the wrong pipe and the EMC will detect this because it has not done what it was asked to do, so gives an alarm on the dashboard. As you are probably aware, the electrical feed to the slide/pump works on a reverse polarity so the slide will go one way or the other, depending on the polarity as demanded. If the EMC sees the polarity change demand and the slide fails to respond, it will indicate accordingly. The usual cause - as in this case - is dirt, sludge or whatever gumming up the mechanism. This was probably disturbed during the replacement of the original faulty pump. I hope this helps for future reference.

Thank you very much for this information and I'm glad you got the issue resolved.