Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a volkswagon polo automatic 6 years old with 45 thounsand

Customer Question

I have a volkswagon polo automatic 6 years old with 45 thounsand miles on the clock and I have just had the EPC light come on.It had a MOT completed 4 days ago
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

The EPC is basically and engine management problem/emissions issue,so the cars ecu will have logged fault code to be retrived diagnostically..any good well equiped garage should be able to perform that to see what the ecu picking up on by interrogating the memory and then use codes to find and fix the fault,one thing you may want to inspect and is failry common is the brake light switch.double check the brake lights work..if not - then the brake switch is at fault this switch is also used to cut/trim fuel down when braking..so the ecu will be monitoring that all the time...However certainly shouldnt be ignored that warning as this may cause further problem with cat converter be it if an emissons problem if left too long.if that lights flashing then it needs to be seen to asap..If the car seem to run ok as far as you tell then it should be fine,to drive in the mean time for nessesary journeys id say.but not for long journeys..I do hope this helps..If you require to ask anything further then please continue before you rate