Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I currently own a berlingo 1.9 05 diesel van. recently the

Customer Question

I currently own a berlingo 1.9 05 diesel van. recently the headgasget failed and the engine, after 255,000miles, is now scrap. the bodywork and mechanics are in excellent condition, and I have been offered an 2004 2.0 hdi car, with 118,000mls and some service history. I am thinking of using the engine from it in my van. Please could someone advise me if this is a viable proposition, as I believe this engine is more economical than the 1.9. Thanks.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

in theory this is possible and you're right in saying the 2.0 Hdi is a superior engine

however you will need most of the donor car , ie the ECU engine bay wiring inc fusebox and the ignition key and the reciever module from the steering column

as the ECU is coded to the immobiliser so you need all the matching parts

this will be the tricky aspect o get all the transplanted parts to work in their new home and I'd be prepared for a long job of modifying wiring looms and paying for modules to be re-coded

its not impossible but will probably take a lot of time to get right
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
hi
do you still need help with this?