Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

hello, can you help? I have a skoda Octavia estate, 1'9 tdi

hello,
can you help?
I have a skoda Octavia estate, 1'9 tdi registered in 2002.
the rear passenger door wont open. its an electric door lock.
how do I remove the panel from the inside?
I can see on the drivers side passengers door that there are some screws that need to be undone.
does it look like I have to wreck the door panel to get it off?
thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
What causes the door not to open is a failed door lock actuator, trying to get the panel off with the door closed is not a easy process and there is not really a way to do this without damage. The door panel comes off in the same way the opposite door panel comes off, same screws etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning, Mike.

Thanks for email.

I guessed that the job would not be easy. I'd hope that there might have been an easy fix, by cutting a small hole in a corner somewhere on the panel.

The door panel has a middle fabric section that has the door handle on it.

If I cut/pull this fabric panel out, do you know if I can reach those screws from the inside, and somehow twist them off, so that I can pull off the larger outer plastic panel?

Andrew

EST = USA? I'm on GMT.

I

Pulling the fabric piece out won't help as there still will not be enough access, the panel also has plastic clips that run the length of the panel and the issue is these just Pop out, but of course with the door closed they will not do this without damage.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike,

Thanks again for email.

Looks like I have to remove more than the fabric.

But when I remove the fabric, will this give me access to enable me to prise off the plastic panel?

Will I be able to pull the plastic panel into the car?

I can see in my owner's manual that the whole lot, fabric and plastic lift off in one piece.

I don't mind breaking some clips, but I am trying to avoid having to cut up the plastic panel.

thanks

Andrew

A

Yes if you remove the fabric you can pry at the panel and just the clips should break and not the panel, but of course that's not a gurantee. The panel would pull in to the car.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again, Mike,

That's encouraging that I wont possible ruin/break the plastic.

I've just looked on the Internet and found this:

If not, you can pull the door trim off, start at a corner at the bottom, run along the bottom and up the sides. The torx screws in it screw into plastic plugs which are clipped into the door, so at worst you might break those but they are one a few pennies each from your local dealer.

This was an old thread. It looks like I could actually pull off the plastic panel, without removing the fabric.

I might try this first. I should be able to undo the bottom two torx, with a right angled drive.

I might have to make up a thin steel strap with a 'hook' on the end to push between the rubber weather seal and the door. I'm not sure how that author managed to pry the panel off with his fingers. There's nothing to grip on.

The author of the above few lines makes it sound easy.

Thanks again.

No problem thank you, ***** ***** just work out, just take your time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks again.

I intended to have a go with my Torx bits this morning, but can't find them!

Looks like a trip into town to buy a set, or on Ebay.

But I need to take the door handle off, and also the plastic trim around the little door opener.

The door handle looks like it is in two parts and needs to be prised apart to get at the holding screws.

I've had a go at prising it, but it's so tight. Perhaps a bit of gentle heat from a hair drier might soften it a bit.

I'll keep you posted and perhaps my next email will be to announce a success.

Andrew

Sounds good. Thank you.
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.