Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

have a 2002 volvo v70 d5. in the morning the car turns over

Customer Question

have a 2002 volvo v70 d5. in the morning the car turns over fine but is reluctant to start. I had the glow plugs changed 10 months ago. Since then it has had fuel and air filter change and well as new engine oil. I have also changes the glow plug relay but the problem is still there. Once the car has been started its starts first time every time through out the day, its just that first start of the day.....please help
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensor

If the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
hi
do you still need help with this?