Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a diesel Yaris 2011 plate. Serviced end of August. Service

I have a diesel Yaris 2011 plate. Serviced end of August. Service spanner comes on intermittently and randomly throughout the day. Have been to main dealer who showed me how to reset service light but it still comes on. They have said it is a known fault and are waiting for a fix to come through from Toyota. Today it came on and stopped flashing just stayed on permanently. Then it went out. It is quite annoying, is there anything else I can do or just wait for them to call me when the solution is found?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Just to clarify,using the trip button - What procedure did they give you as it will slightly differ as per if key or keyless entry?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a key to start the car. They said put onto trip a then turn engine off. Hold down reset button while switching on ignition and wait for the lines to flash and then zero.
Technician at Toyota did this and showed me but it is still coming on
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Ok..yes that the exact procedure for reset the spanner light..that light is actually your oil service light..and comes on every 10,000miles or 1year depending which comes first...Have you asked the dealer to ensure the oil level isnt too high or too low - sometimes if the level gets to high can cause that sometimes if its rising to quickly or diesel is in the oil then that needs to be looked in and you have to insist the dealer checks that..I do note of bullitin that maybe of some use to you to discuss with the dealer that concerns oil issues/spanner light falshing at certain periods ( TSB EG-0017T-0411 ) ..But unfotunatly thats about all you can do in regards ***** ***** approach of reseting the light..but as above certainly get them to ensure the level isnt too high..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have definitely not done 10,000 miles since last service and it was only serviced end of August. Will it come on if a problem with oil levels? Surely oil light would come on?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Not if the oil level is slightly too high,it can be known to come on that "wrench,oil service light" - "if" that oil level is too high - the oil light itself the red oil can will only come on if the oil is way too low or there maybe a oil pressure issue..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Been into dealership today. Oil level too high so drained and light now out. However there is a notice out from Toyota for this problem now and it may require a new engine!
Thanks for info as it made me ensure they checked the oil levels today.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..glad you got them to check that out..to be sure about the level..

Yes its known problem to Toyota a while ago.couple of years anyway - in regards ***** ***** problem,hence why im unsure as to why they kept having the oil service reset continually without actually checking the oil level..which i pointed out is the cause for that light always coming on - the tsb service bullitin i highlighted above EG-0017T-0411. Im positive there is also a warranty extension in place...