Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

what price would you recommend for selling a 2007 2.2 litre

what price would you recommend for selling a 2007 2.2 litre santa fe. automatic and four wheel drive with engine broken. its a seven seater.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

What kind of issue does the engine have?

What sort mileage has the vehicle got on it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The mechanic says oil was not getting to the top part of the engine. there was a filter blocked. while i was driving there was a noise coming from engine. I could not pick up aceleration. Lots of white smoke came out of the exhaust so i had to pull over. It would not start again. The mechanic said the engine was gone. The mileage on the santa fe is approx. 167000 k.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Ok..Normally any garage would insist is was towed if the engine was running dry and not circulating oil..depending how long this issue coccured before breaking down totally sometimes the damage is already done if left long enough - the filter i asume they refer to would be the pick up in the sump - however the engine is most likely damaged through starvation of oil.so it likely there is piston ring/bore wear,a dry and wet compression test would verify that.. Givin the damage/mileage i doubt really you would get very much for it..considering who ever buys it will need to have another engine fitted into it..as it will be classed as spares or repair,to be honest i doubt you'd even get close to 1000euro...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how about 5000euro

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

I don't agree with that rating - I fail to see why you rated that? bad service for what exactly? please explain...