Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a seat toledo tdi 2013 with 15,000 kms.The car speeds

I have a seat toledo tdi 2013 with 15,000 kms.The car speeds up in 3rd ,4th gears without foot on the accelerator,the garage said it was the particle filter and to drive the car hard for 20 minutes.does not work.can you help
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

its possible that the engine is running off its own oil as this burns quite well once the engine is warm

The first thing I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet , however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carrys oil over with it.

If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.

If you do find oil replace the valve. If this is all OK then its possible that the valve stem seals are past their best and are drip-feeding oil into the intake. These can be replaced without removing the head by a competent garage in half a day or so

Also check inside the intake just after the turbo for any signs of oil as this would be an indication that the turbo oil seal is starting to fail and a replacement / rebuilt turbo may well be required. Have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the info, I will go back to Seat garage to have it checked out.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
no problem Sam

just get back to me on this post