Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi Iam having a Fiat punto automatic 6 speedgear 2004 reg.

Hi Iam having a Fiat punto automatic 6 speedgear 2004 reg. I bought it as used last year. 3 months ago it started developing 'engine slipping'. Workshop guy said gear oil level is ok. What could be the easy remedy. does it have a torque converter. Do you want me to try following.
1) OIl change
2) second had gearbox
3) gearbox refurbish
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

these are a CVT type of transmisson and as you may know the oil type and conditon is critical as its used to help transmit the drive through the gearbox

so 1st thing to do is get it warm, then drain off the old oil and replace with fresh

when you drain the old oil off use some paper towel to strain it as it flows out , this is to catch any debris / bits of metal so you can make a judgement on the gearbox condition
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, many thanks for the reply. Oil change is done by next week. Do this model have torque converter please.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

Yes its does have a torque convertor , but its not a conventional automatic as its a CVT type
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

do you still need help with this?
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** awaiting the supply of special gear oil from Fiat