Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi Mike I have a Range Rover Vogue with a 4.4 M62 engine,

Customer Question

Hi Mike
I have a Range Rover Vogue with a 4.4 M62 engine, upon start up from cold there is what sounds like a rumble for 2 seconds then drowns out under normal engine noise(this doesn't always happen), when engine temperature is at normal, from the o/s bank a tapping noise can be heard. I've replaced the vanos solenoid and have also tried thicker engine oils, the engine has covered 95k miles and has full service history, also when the engine revs are increased the tapping noise goes.
Jamie
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Jamie,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I really would love an answer as I've paid £28, if an answer can not be given can you please give me a refund.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd 1st suggest measuring the actual oil pressure with seperate mechanical gauge - this can be plumbed into the engine via the current pressure switch port -

If you do have a low pressure reading then replace the oil pump and ensure that the pump pickup in the sump hasn't come loose or is blocked

my thoughts are that the rumble is a worn main bearing and the tapping noise is a valve / cam follower

both of these need a full level of oil pressure to function

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

do you still need help with this?