Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I feel a "clunk" from the steering wheel of my 06 registered

I feel a "clunk" from the steering wheel of my 06 registered RAV4 XT4 Petrol Auto. It has less than 40,000 miles on the clock. I have been advised that this is caused by wear on the intermediate shaft at the bottom of the steering column and have been quoted £350 to replace it. I have been told by my Toyota dealer that they have seen this problem several times and that it is not dangerous.They have no knowledge of one of these worn shafts breaking.As a pensioner, a bill for £350 is most unwelcome particularly as I have been told that the problem is not dangerous and the shaft will not fail completely. What is your advice about this problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Yes unfortunatly to rectify the problem completetly it does require the revised inter shafts to be replaced,by in a way of the swing range of the steering intermediate shaft is reduced.aswell as the pinion shaft shape of the steering gear is changed. , ..which you have already gathered - however the problem in itself isnt deemed as unsafe - its quite a common problem associated with these and sometimes even just adding silicone spray lubricant into the splines shaft itself/ujs might help.worth a try anyway..failing that any good reputable garage should be able to carry out a job like this so it might be worth phoning around a few of them maybe try this site.. www.googgaragescheme.co.uk I do hope this helps..if you require to ask anything further then please just continue before you rate