Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

I have a 2055 Toyota Rav 4 Manual. The car is in at Halfords

I have a 2055 Toyota Rav 4 Manual. The car is in at Halfords because yesterday when I tried to engage 5th it just crunched. The AA came out and we then drove it into Halfords. I have AA parts and labour cover up to £500. Once the gearbox is out the Insurance company will come out to decide if they are going to pay up or not. If they decide its wear and tear they wont pay up. The car has done 140K and the rest of the gears are no problem at all. Would you be able to tell me if this is an expensive repair once the gearbox is out? Would you expect that 5th gear would go first with wear and tear as I would expect 1st to be the one to go first. Im just trying to prepare myself for the battle with the insurance company. Thanks , Martin
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.
Mark :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try help you with this.

Mark :

At 140k miles then it is most likely the fault is down to wear and tear.

Mark :

Your assumption of 1st gear going first is incorrect.

Mark :

If you think about it, 1st gear is only used for the first 10 yards or so and most of your driving will be in top gear.

Mark :

It will also be likely that the insurance company will check your service records. If these are incomplete or not done at the correct intervals then they could also use this as a reason not to pay.

Mark :

If the gearbox has signs of previous oil leaks could be a reason to reject your claim unless you can prove the oil level was corrected after the leak was repaired etc.

Mark :

Gearbox parts can be expensive, especially for gears and synchrohubs.

Mark :

Repair costs will also depend on the level of stripdown required. To replace 5th gear only usually doesn't mean a complete stripdown but if the old gear is badly damaged then you may have to strip down completely to ensure all debris is removed form inside the casing and that no other gears have been damaged from the debris.

Mark :

Sometimes it is more economical to replace the gearbox with a reconditioned one or one from a breakers yard.

Customer:

Hi Mark thanks for that. Halfords have taken the end plate off the end of the gearbox now exposing the 5th gear. The spline on the end of the shaft has worn and the gear moves freely on the shaft. Stupid question I know but could they just replace the shaft and a new 5th gear when it goes to the gearbox repairer and if so what would be the likely cost? (I know that's an impossible question but the rest of the gears in the box are easily selected and are not showing signs of wear).

Mark :

To replace the worn shaft will require a complete strip down and although I can't give a price it will be expensive for the shaft.

Mark :

It's just a pity the shaft is damaged as I said earlier, replacing 5th gear on its own would have been fairly easy.

Customer:

About £300 for the shaft and gear. Have you any ball park figure for the gearbox rebuild?