Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My A class shows a sign when I turn the key which disappears

My A class shows a sign when I turn the key which disappears after the car has run for a few minutes. It is a curly line, what does this mean, I can't find it in my handbook? Thank you.
Pauline Cresta
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Normally the orange curly line warning - mostly at start depending on outside temperatures is to do with your Heat/Glow Plugs It will illuminate when the ignition is turned on, and goes out once the set time for pre heating is done then the warning will go out..then start the engine..if the warning comes on during engine running or stays on it could well be failed glowplug..so they would need to test each plug to see which one has possibily developed a fault,if one has gone it would be best advised to replace all glowplugs at the same time..but normally they dont cause any engine running performance issues if faulty..only generally at very cold start up may you notice it..I do hope this helps....if you require to aks anything further then please continue before you rate