Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi, Just got an ex Royal Mail 2004 LDV pilot. had to put new

Hi, Just got an ex Royal Mail 2004 LDV pilot. had to put new battery. Will not start, turn over or even click when key turned. Tried towing & bump starting but still dead. Red LED flashes centre of dash.
Mechanic says inhibitors have immobilized starting system but requires more info for understanding how to bypass or reconfigure. Please advize?
John
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello John,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Shantal,

If possible to get an answer in the next 24 hours that would be good.

I understand it is a tricky question but please keep trying for a day more and let me know.

I'd assume if the info for the question is not to be found I'd get a refund?

kind regards, John.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues
If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.
There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections
This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing
Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced
Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V
also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables
one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off
If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for all that advice. Will pass it on to my mechanic to try this weekend, he may have a couple more questions if it still fails to start.

The power was coming through strong to dash / lights ok and it has a good fully charged battery. He seems to think it is inhibitors, if faulty starter should it not have bump started when we gave it a good tow anyway?

Will be happy to give positive ratings very soon, thanks again.

John

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
bump starting means you use forward motion through the gearbox to spin the engine, the starter isn't involved
if you need further help then get back to me on this post
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks again, my guy is saying he can by pass starter circuit but it turns out there is a fire wall around pump that's what worries him, can you suggest any way around this?

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

not entirely sure what you mean by 'firewall'?

some models have a shield over the injection pump to provide heat protection by this can be unbolted if required (not entirely sure how this relates to your issue though)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks I will find out from him about that, then hopefully we'll be done pretty soon.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
No problem

just get back to me on this post
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

do you still need help with this?
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks,

it seems like it is a locksmith issue now.