Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

ive put screen wash in my car by mistake ithought ide picked

ive put screen wash in my car by mistake ithought ide picked up antifreeze what do you suggest plz my car is a bmw 520i

Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
screenwash actually makes a reasonable coolant
how much screenwash have you put in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

3 pint bottles

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

3 pint bottles

can i still put antifreeze in over the screen wash and how much antifreeze do i need to put in thanks

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
OK
that's quite a bit
you can just add antifreeze but the important thing is to ensure you've got enough frost protection there to prevent ice forming best way to do this is with a 'tester' that sucks up a small sample of the coolant and will show you if its at sufficent concentration
like this
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/antifreeze/halfords-antifreeze-tester-meg
however the best approach is to pull the bottom radiator hose off to drain the system / radiator, this won't get everything out but will about half
then refit the hose and fill back up with antifreeze concentrate and check with a tester that you have at least 35% antifreeze