Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

High beam bulb type for a new Skoda 2.0 TDI 170 L&K DSG

What is the high beam bulb type for a new Skoda 2.0 TDI 170 L&K DSG Superb (2014 facelift model)

Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hi my name is***** a car technician and I’ll help with your question.

The bulb type for your main high beam depends on whether your model comes fitted with HID bulbs from the factory

If you unsure, simply call your main dealer with your registration number and they will tell you, however its fairly simple to tell your self if you don't already know. HID Lights will be considerably brighter than normal bulbs and emit a pure white light, and tend to give a bit of a flicker when initially switched on.

If you have HID dipped beam bulbs, your main beam will be H3 - this is a stubby halogen bulb with a wire attached to it often used in fog lamps

If you have normal halogen dipped beam bulbs, you will have H1 main beam bulbs, this is a normal type single halogen bulb with a single spade terminal.

Both bulbs are readily available from any good parts supplier. Please feel free to reply if you need any further assistance, thanks, Ross.

Customer:

Hi Ross, thanks for the answer, however the vehicle is fitted with HID dipped beam units but the bulb is not an H3. I can try and send a photo later on if that's ok.

Ross :

Ok that is strange, please do send a photo, i will convert this to Q&A mode so we can continue talking. My data is based on info from the manufacture however sometimes they change things on the facelifts and don't update the details as its such a new car. If you can get me a photo i'm sure i can get to the bottom of this, thanks, Ross.

Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ross, I've attached a photo of the bulb in it's holder.

Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Brilliant thank you. Thats an H7 i have attached a diagram so you can be certain.

It must have been changed from H1 on the face lift, sorry for the confusion.

graphic