Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My garage serviced the car, 1.6 Matrix 2007, last week. Told

My garage serviced the car, 1.6 Matrix 2007, last week. Told me the clutch needed to be replaced so agreed and they fitted a new one. Yesterday after a two hour drive on motorway I stopped at a toll booth and just after pulling away went to change gear and the gearstick was completely loose and couldn't select any gear.
Towed off to a garage and was told the problem is a snapped cable and nothing to do with the clutch change. Just seems a strong co-incidence and I'm worried that there is a connection, the garage claim they wouldn't have to touch anything to do with these cables?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

To change the clutch assembly they have to separate the gearbox from the engine which in turn requires to remove/repositioning the gear control selectors/cables..to be able to manoeuvre the gearbox away to access to the clutch for replacement..sadly considering the cable has snapped or one of the two have snapped it would require replacement..as they come as set..I do hope this helps...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Robert,
if I understand correctly they must have done something with these cables and so when the guy in charge of the service department says they didn't even need to touch the cables it not true?
I've agreed that they are replaced as obviously the car can't function but I need to argue that the problem IS linked to the clutch plate change.
By the way I live in Greece and the car was bought and is serviced there. We were on our way to the airport when the cable broke so not only the cost of recovery and repair but also a taxi for the remainder of the journey.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for you reply..

We have these cars over here in the UK too...well ever garage has its own methods for gearbox removal..they can either seperate the box away from the engine and give access to the clutch itself..not ideal as the space would be very tight..but never the less the cables would need to be either disconnected or manoeuvred in such a way they dont interfer with the gearbox removal...if they said they had to remove the gearbox out of the car..which most garages like to.then they would have 100% had to take the cable off to do that..the cables from the gearselector in the car are actually attached to the selector assembly on the gearbox..It really a case of finding out in what way they removed the gearbox..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again Robert
All I will have to do is argue this with the garage, who I musy say have been pretty reliable before. What bothers me is that we were lucky it failed when we were travelling slowly and not in a busy section of road. I hate to think what could of happened.
Sorry one last question, have you known these cables just break before?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Any gear controls cables ive seen break "quite alot of cars use these now" is usually down to corrosion on the cable end itself or the cable has become siezed within the cable sheath which in turn causing the gears to become stiff to get in and out and puts extra strain on the cable, or a manufacturer defect which is pretty rare to be honest / or a problem in the gearbox itself - the cables are a bit like clutch cable in a way.but there are 2 of them that lead to the gearbox...Its normally a case of having to inspect the cable itself and see what caused it to snapped..you may want to ask them that so you can see for yourself..when they break they sort of fray away at the ends before hand

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Robert, I've just had an email from Just answer.

I do have one more question that is are these cables secured by bolts and if so would it be likely that they would have been removed during the change to the clutch plate?
The car is 7 years old and given the climate in Greece I think it would be pretty unlikely that the cable were corroded and just snapped but I'm going to have a real problem proving that. I'm also considering contacting Hyundai themselves to see what they say about the chances of this just being a coincidence that the cables broke just a week after the new clutch was put on.