Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a renault megane scenic 1999 model. I have one key and

I have a renault megane scenic 1999 model. I have one key and I need a duplicate. But the problem is that the ignition system is provided with a sensor and the key has a fob. How can I get a duplicate that will will work with the sensor or do I have to buy a complete ignition barrel coded to the car?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
To get two keys to the ignition, the ignition barrel will need to be swapped with a ignition barrel that is coded to the vehicle with the vin number. This would be the only way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1 How can I purchase a ignition barrel that is coded to the vehicle with vin number on line and from what companies
Question 2: I am outside my country and I don't know the VIN OF THE VEHICLE ?
The vin number is ***** identification numbers on the vehicle, the serial number.
I will try to locate some places to make this purchase.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes my expert, we are getting close to solution. I have now got the vin of the vehicle which is: 1VF1JA0F0516427022

The question is: how can I purchase on line ignition barrel with two keys and coded to the vehicle with the vin qoated as above?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have now got the VIN of the vehicle which is 1VF1JA0F0516427022. How can I buy online an ignition barrel with2 keys and coded to the vehicle with the vin as quoted above
I had rated the previous answers good
I shall probably do upward rating when I get a satisfactory answer that will solve my problem.
The place that you buy the ignition barrel from will code the keys to the barrel using the vin number prior to sending you the barrel, this is done on their end using a program scan tool.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What of if i did not include the vin of the car at the time of ordering the ignition barrel with keys, would they still be able to do the coding?

The reason for asking the question is because I have already got the barrel and it will be fitted when I return to nigera.

If the barrel and keys were not pre-codes before buying them than they can still be coded but it will require a diagnostic tool.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think we are at each step getting close to a solution. Does it mean tha I can take the barrel with the key to renault workshop or dealer in Bolton to have this done for me.? Can you please recommend where I can do this in Bolton ?
Thank you very much and I hereby rate the answer as 95%.
The dealer would need the keys, barrel and the vehicle to do the programming.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for all your efforts.
But last question. Can I presume that when I get to nigeria, it will be possible to have it programmed as I have bought a barrel with the keys that go with it. Or will you I advise that I buy a barrel with a key incorporated with chip (transponder)?

The rating is upgraded to 97%.