Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Hi all I am a dad who is staggered at what I have received

Customer Question

Hi all
I am a dad who is staggered at what I have received from a garage.
My daughter got a new A1 S line and on the first day of driving along a straight road, Due to a car pulling out wide coming in the opposite direction due to a cyclist riding away from the kerb, she moved left and hit the kerb some yards back from where she stopped (still cant find the mark) The side of the tyre and the rim of the wheel has a gouge out of it and the car engine stopped and cut off, passenger side front rear and seat airbags were deployed.
She did not leave the road, but she then wrestled it off the road, across a virtually non existent kerb so that it was mostly off the road. We pushed it into a parking space and had it recovered.
Now we are being told by a local specialist garage the following and I am absolutely shocked.
I expected ECU to be able to be reset and not replaced.
I cant see any damage to roof lining other than where sips have popped the trim
etc etc. Am I being played here, as I cannot think why one would want to have a car that costs £5K to correct what appears to be a kerbing
Should I get a second opinion.
The part about a buckled drivers side wheel is also puzzling as there was not contact with this and the only time Hannah had been out was with me and she had not clipped or touched anything.
Maybe I should go back to the audi dealership and find out more.
I am really looking for advice and help. I cant afford £5K and I cant afford insurance premium increase, should they want to insure her in the future.
I appreciate any advice and help
PS Clutch bite height has been an issue since we got it, as I commented that my knee was hitting back of steering wheel
Report states
Both Front wheels damaged beyond repair £768.19 inc vat (£320.08+ vat Each)
• N/S/F tyre has heavy sidewall damage 215/40ZR17 87W Continental £130.82 inc vat
• Requires a full four wheel alignment due to impact damage £185.00 inc vat
• Clutch feels very high for a vehicle that has only covered 126 miles, suspect clutch abuse (Advise Only)
• Airbag ECU requires replacing and coding as airbags have been deployed £783.76 inc vat
• Driver’s seatbelt pre-tensioner has been deployed £408.26 inc vat
• Passengers seatbelt pre-tensioner has been deployed £408.26 inc vat
• N/S/F seat airbag has been deployed, airbag and seat cover requires replacing £1038.28 inc vat
• N/S curtain airbag has been deployed, air bag and roof lining requires replacing £1032.90 inc vat
Long List of immobilisation fault codes recorded within the fault code memory of the vehicle including (P1309 & P1609) will need further investigation once power has been restored, air bags and air bag ECU have all been replaced.
Total Cost of Repairs £4,755.47 inc vat
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 1 year ago.
Mark :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try help you with this.

Mark :

Before I address the issues with the damage I would advise you should always get a second opinion or quote for the damage to be repaired.

Mark :

I also note you really can't afford to get this repaired or the increased insurance costs but I would still advise you put this through your insurance.

Mark :

First reason for this is your insurance premium will already be paid for the year and so won't go up until next year.

Mark :

This gives a bit time to save to allow for any increase.

Mark :

I would also say that even if the insurance goes up next year it won't be by £5k.

Mark :

Even if it went up by £1k then this is just like taking out a £5k loan and paying it back over 5 years if you see what I mean.

Mark :

Now for assessing the damage.

Mark :

Some airbag ecu's can be wiped clear of crash data. It isn't done by the manufacturers though. It is more of a software 'crack' that has been developed by some specialists.

Mark :

Manufacturers would rather sell you a new part.

Mark :

When airbags get set off there is also the possibility of chassis damage. This might not always be easily seen.

Mark :

This is why you need a four wheel alignment check and possibly a chassis alignment check.

Mark :

The prices quoted for the replacement parts are not 'out of order'.

Mark :

It's just that you need all of them at one time. Another reason to let the insurance pay for it.

Mark :

As for damage to the driver's side wheel , I can only speculate that your daughter maybe mistaken about exactly what happened during the accident. Especially as the drivers seatbelt pretensioner has been deployed suggests there was some sort of impact to the drivers side suspension, wheel or chassis.

Mark :

Lastly, regarding the clutch.

Mark :

These are self adjusting units and can be affected by incompatible driving styles.

Mark :

I suppose this is some way of saying it could be driver error, but nobody likes to be told they have to relearn how to drive.

Mark :

This is a common fault with new style clutches that people are having difficulty with.

Mark :

More often than not, the manufacturer will cite driver error for premature failure.

Mark :

This is something I would suggest you speak to your dealership about and ask them what type of driving style best suits the vehicle's clutch so you can address it before it gets any worse.

Mark :

If you require anything else or if I have missed something then please let me know.

Mark :

Mark :

Mark.

JACUSTOMER-asghr31a- :

Thanks for your comments

JACUSTOMER-asghr31a- :

The car has less than 100 miles on the clock, the clutch was at that height (bite point) from the day we had it. We just thought it was something that we had to get used to

JACUSTOMER-asghr31a- :

Also the witnesses of the kerbing state that the car did not leave the road apart from hitting the raised part of the curb at a bus stop which is higher than kerb either side for ease of alighting buses. The passenger side wheel concerns me as I actually wonder what happened with this car on maybe demos etc. I don't think this was caused by me or my daughter. How can I get this checked. Are you saying the drivers side pretensioner would not go off if the left wheel hit the kerb.

Mark :

Getting it checked is going to be difficult to determine if the damage was there before the accident.

Mark :

As for the airbags. The systems use 'G' force sensors to determine the angle and speed at the time of impact and deploy the airbags as required.

Mark :

Your description of the accident would suggest more of a side deflection hit rather than a straight on hit.

Mark :

This would normally just deploy airbags on the side of the hit but if speed was high or the car was in a spin then it might deploy both sides.