Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I HAVE A SAAB 93 TTID 180 BHP AND EVERY 3-400 MILES IT REGENERATES

I HAVE A SAAB 93 TTID 180 BHP AND EVERY 3-400 MILES IT REGENERATES BUT OVER REGENERATES AS I CAN SMELL THE DIESEL AND I GET CLOUDS OF WHITE SMOKE FROM THE EXHAUST, THE MPG DROPS RAPIDLY AS DOES THE DISTANCE TO EMPTY, I HAVE HAD A NEW EGR AND DPF FITTED BUT THIS IS BAFFLING, EVEN THE GARAGE I USE DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS SO I HOPE YOU CAN HELP
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi...

Hopefully i can help..

The dpf will only regenerate if the soot content is above 80% if i recall and high motorway usage usually helps keep the levels down....obviously this the case with you if a new dpf has been installed..this means the cars ecu is still thinking the dpf is reaching the stages of self regeneration where the fuel injected is increased to help regenerate the dpf...one thing you should watch out for here is the increase in oil dilution where diesel excess can fill the sump if regens are failing this is quite common..and i always advise if a new dpf is installed you get the oil/filter done at the same time..ensure it is the correct oil low ash content...one thing that it could be causing this is a faulty Differential Pressure Sensor for your DPF this actually monitors the condition under certain situtions during driving and senses when the dpf is getting full..on the dpf itself it should have two small solid lines one in each end - a low pressure line and high pressure line.pipes coming from it..these then go into rubber lines and the they lead to the sensor..ensure these lines are clear and not damaged,no holes etc..aswell as the sensor itself..So maybe have that checked out..I do hope this helps